Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Letter to my Superhero

I saw your smiling face on a Saturday that began gloomy. There were no words spoken as none were possible. But there were expressions. Communication. Joy. On either side. The clock struck 11 and I walked out somewhat relieved and harked a taxi that would care to drop me home. Relief is misleading; and the following Saturday, you were gone. You went away without so much as a Good bye. When I think back now, I did not have any emotions back then. Perhaps I didn't think. Perhaps I didn't want to think. A few tears were shed over choked words that no one heard. But you know, don't you? Did you have to go away this way? Was I not always your favourite?

"..Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings...."

Did you know that? Did I ever tell you? Did I have to tell you? Did you ever know that you were the one who could hear my unspoken words? Did you know that you're the one who taught me how to be- to be me, to be someone, to dare to not be in a someone's shadow? Did you know that you taught me to carve my own path, to tread a walk I could justify to none except my soul? Did you know.. all that and everything else that I can never list? And did you know that from you, I learnt, I did not not have to be divine- it is alright to be a mere human? And so, I have tears in my eyes..

And now when there are times, when I can't speak my heart, when I can't express, when I mess up my words, you know I miss you, don't you? I miss you, knowing that I could be myself before you, without the fear of being judged, without the apprehension of being rejected, without the need to be proper. They say you spoilt me rotten. Did you? Did you ever tell them that you loved me so impossibly unconditionally? Did you tell them, that if I couldn't learn to fly as high as an eagle, you'd still love me like crazy? Did they ever know?

Do you also know, that I have a thousand million myriad phrases within, that I wish I could have said to you? But then I guess, you knew anyway; you knew always that I loved you so. Or may be, it never mattered, whether or not I loved you back. Can I now post this letter to you? Will it reach you? Will I ever find your address? Will the postman find the way?

You will be there to guide me, won't you? ..Till I walk to a place where there would be nowhere else left to go.. and even beyond..? You would be with us, will you not, Grandpa?

P.S.: Is it alright to cry now?

1 Comments:

At 10:00 pm , Blogger Jay sane said...

I had a lump in my throat as I read through ur beautifully expressed and often poignant thoughts...I was reminded of my late father...my hero

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home